Thursday, December 18, 2008

Why Worry? Part 1

For this week's post, I will be looking at Matthew 6:25-27. This scripture has been one that I have tried to live by for quite some time. Before I read this scripture, I was constantly worrying about things that God was already taking care of. One example that goes hand in hand with the scripture is from my early years of college. I was so consumed with how I was going to eat or buy food. Of course there was the cafeteria, but if you've been to school, then you know what that food can do to you. Plus the cafeteria had limited hours and I ate more than the 3 standard meals.

It wasn't until I happened to read this scripture that I realized I didn't have to worry about that. I didn't have to seek answers to my worries because God already had my answer. I was at peace with my situation after reading Jesus' words. And just now, it reminds me of another scripture. When the devil was tempting Jesus in Matthew 4:4, Jesus says, "Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God" and in John 6:35 He tells us, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry..." That is just more reason not to worry about what we will eat or drink (verse 25 and 31). This particular point gets put into perspective when He talks about the birds of the air in verse 26 not reaping or sowing but our Heavenly Father still feeds them. Jesus even asks, "Are you not much more valuable than they?" If you don't consider yourself more valuable, then I'm going to need you to step back and realize that you're a child of the Most High and no bird is flyer than you.

Going back to the story, I'm not saying I just stopped thinking about food or stopped caring about eating. I'm simply saying that I stopped worrying about if and when I was going to eat. My worrying didn't furnish any results or answers. In verse 27 Jesus says, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" My worrying wasn't doing anything for me except causing self-inflicted stress.

This is where the issue lies. We often are so worried about our physical hunger being satisfied that we don't see that we are starving our soul from the Bread of Life. I was letting my worries inhibit me from worshipping and my problems suppress me from praising God for what He has already done, is already doing, and what He is going to do. So what I had to do was tell the world, "Save your soul food. I need that Savior (save your) soul food." So I encourage you all today to stop worrying about "what you will eat or drink" and start praising God for the past, present, and future "meals."

Thank you again for taking the time to read this post. I pray that it inspires you to grow closer and stronger in your relationship with God. Feel free to leave a comment or openly discuss the scripture. God Bless.

2 comments:

  1. This week I would like 2 say,where was this blog two weel ago.haha, I love the part about Soul Food,because He is Bread of life

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is def the Bread of life! You have to go to Him to satisfy all hunger and thirst. I mean, He did feed thousands with just five loaves of bread and two fish. and everyone was fully satisfied. If He did it then, then why wouldn't He do it again?

    ReplyDelete